Friday, January 11, 2013

Rainbow Bean Dip

Yesterday I made this lovely rainbow bean dip for an evening of appetizers and some friends from high school. It was delightful, the colorful salad and the company.
Into the salad went:

  • 1/2 cup dry black beans, properly soaked and cooked
  • 1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans, properly soaked and cooked
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large avocado, sliced into chunks
  • 1/4 cup dried tomatoes, I rehydrated them in the following vinegar for about an hour before adding
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped roasted chili peppers, these I had in the freezer
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • juice of one lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

I was following somewhat of recipe that I found in a magazine but then altered it drastically to reflect the ingredients that I had on hand. If I was making this during the summer I would obviously use fresh tomatoes, but in the wintertime I refuse to purchase disgusting hothouse tomatoes from the store so instead I used some dried tomatoes that I dehydrated this summer. They added a nice flavor when they re-hydrated a bit in the vinegar. If you don't have roasted chili peppers, a nice fresh jalepeno would be good as well during the growing season.

Make sure to put this salad or dip to eat with tortilla chips together at least 3 hours before you plan to enjoy it. At it sits the flavors meld and create a very tasty salad or dip. It's even better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment